Registration for Prelims is OPEN--Deadline is Noon Monday
Good morning Dolphin Families!
We are one week away from the Bayou Swim League Prelims, which are on Friday, June 21. Check-in is at 8 a.m., and the meet will start at 9 a.m. Swimmers who qualify for finals will swim on Saturday. So if your swimmer registers for prelims on Friday, he/she has to be available for finals if he/she qualifies.
The deadline to register is at noon on Monday, June 17.
- Here is the link to register for the prelims.
- Here is the link to volunteer to help at the prelims. We will need a lot of help because this is during the day on a work day.
For those of you who are new, here are some details about prelims and finals.
- Prelims is normal meet, but all five teams are present. Understandably, the meet is longer because there are so many swimmers attending.
- All swimmers who participated in at least two meets can participate (Time Trials count as a meet). Swimmers who have not met this standard should have been informed, but if you have a question, please check with a Dolphins rep (Ingrid, Meg, David or Kimberly).
- Like every other meet, a swimmer can participate in three individual races and two relay races.
- Teams can enter as many swimmers as they wish in freestyle. Eight to 10 heats in freestyle for the younger ages is typical. It can take a very long time to get through events 1 through 4. For all other strokes, each team can enter a maximum of six swimmers. Therefore, if every team enters six swimmers in 7-8 girls breaststroke, there will be five heats for that race.
- For the reps and coaches, it's a big puzzle to enter each swimmer in the events they have the best chance to make finals. They will be working on that Monday night.
- Expect entry lists to be emailed by Tuesday afternoon. Please check the lists for your swimmer/s and let Ingrid know if you have any questions.
- Usually on Wednesday our reps will be at a league "heating meeting" to hand everything in. After that, no changes can be made, except for taking sick swimmers out on the day of the meet.
- Prelims usually last to 3 p.m. or 4 p.m., so bring things to do. Books to read or card games are great ways for kids to spend time and not exert too much energy between races.
- If your swimmer places in the top 12 in an individual event or in the top 6 teams in a relay, he or she has qualified for the finals meet. You are expected to be there Saturday even if it is for only one event.
Thank you again for your continued support of the Westchester Dolphins. We look forward to finishing the season on a strong note.
The Westchester Dolphins Swim Team Reps